8 simple steps to show you how to run your wood heater efficiently and cleanly
1 min read
How to light your wood heater.
Eight simple steps to show you how to run your wood heater efficiently and cleanly
- Ensure the Air Slide is in the open or high position.
- In firebox lay your fire lighters 10 to 15 centimetres apart, depending on the size of your firebox. Do not use newspaper as a fire lighter.
- Add soft wood kindling in a criss cross pattern above the firelighters. Softwood kindling allows for fire to light quicker and burn hotter.
- Light fire with match or gas lighter, when fire is ablaze close the door, but do not latch the door. Leave for 5-10 minutes maximum and do not leave unattended.
- Load pieces of hardwood that are no wider than a drink can in a criss cross pattern.
- Latch the door and leave latched for 30 minutes. If your heater has a fan, do not run the fan for at least 45 minutes.
- After 30 minutes add the large pieces of hardwood. These pieces should be no bigger than a loaf of bread. Close and latch door after loading.
- After 45 minutes you can adjust the air slide to slow fire down and find your comfort level. If you have a fan fitted you can now turn it on.